Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a user to only run certain programs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunkadoodledoo

Programmer
Oct 29, 2001
US
How do I make a user that can only run certain programs (say, a game or a word processor)? Thanks.

Josh

At least in network of NT4 server and 9x clients I are able to define a policy (with system policy manager) for a user or domain group and in that you can list the programs the user (or group) is allowed to use...

-tapio

But, what is the procedure? I am very inexperience with an NT based OS.

Well with NT4 as server and NT/9x as clients you do as follows:

First create a user account as normally. Then create a new policy with the system policy manager (poledit.exe). From edit-menu select add user and browse the user for you want to create rules.

You should now see a head-icon with the username under it. You can configure the policy of that user by double-clicking the "head".

Select the box "System->Restrictions->Run only allowed windows applications" and make a list of the applications you want the user be able to run. I'd include at least explorer.exe ;-)

The ready policy, which can contain many individual settings for users and groups, should be saved as ntconfig.pol in the folder shared as netlogon (c:\winnt\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts). The file should be on every DC you have.

Whether this works same way or not with w2k i don't know, but tell me did it.

-tapio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back