Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a shadow inside the shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

doolz

Vendor
May 19, 2009
CA
I can't figure this out, I know how to make a drop-shadow, but how do you make a shadow inside the shape. I have created custom shapes using the pen tool and want to have a shadow inside them making them look like they are embedded into the picture. Thanks in advance!

...you can't using a single command (unlike photoshop)...

...you have to create it manually, either by importing a PSD with the effect you need, set to multiply or darken...

...the other option is to create it in illustrator with a white filled shape (no stroke) set to inner glow, color black, edge setting active, then multiply or darken the filled shape...

...you then need to create a clipping mask to clip the shadow and offset/resize it to mimic that of photoshop...

andrew

...forgot to mention you need to change the "inner glow" setting in illustrator to "normal" as opposed to "screen"...

andrew

...to clarify the above further:

"...you then need to create a clipping mask to clip the shadow and offset/resize it to mimic that of photoshop..."

...when i say "offset/resize it" I'm referring to the clipped shape, not the actual clipping mask itself...

andrew

...also worth mentioning that your "document raster effects settings" under the "effect" menu need to be set appropriately for your desired output when using raster effects in photoshop...

...changing these settings to a higher resolution after applying effects when at a low resolution changes the appearance...

...you also need to ensure imported PSD files have appropriate resolution if you go that route and calculated correctly if working to a smaller scale than final output...

andrew

...sorry, correction:

>>> "...also worth mentioning that your "document raster effects settings" under the "effect" menu need to be set appropriately for your desired output when using raster effects in photoshop..." <<<

...meant to say illustrator, not photoshop...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back