Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a select list with attach movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubychyld

Programmer
Mar 22, 2001
US
I would really like to create a drop down select list and populate it with attachMovie(). I'm going around and around... please help me...

This attachMovie() works when I target the root level but once I try to attach it to a dynamic text field I don't see anything happen... this action is on the first frame of a single frame movie and I am trying to target anything on the main stage...

--------------------------this works
function postIt(thisNote,txtDisplayNotePreview,kid,txtDisplayNoteView){
_root.attachMovie("notePreview", thisNote, kid);
_root[thisNote]._x=0;
_root[thisNote]._y=10*kid;
_root[thisNote].txtDisplayNotePreview = txtDisplayNotePreview;
_root[thisNote].txtDisplayNoteView = txtDisplayNoteView;
}

--------------------------this doesn't
function postIt(thisNote,txtDisplayNotePreview,kid,txtDisplayNoteView){
_root.selectList.attachMovie("notePreview", thisNote, kid);
_root.selectList[thisNote]._x=0;
_root.selectList[thisNote]._y=10*kid;
_root.selectList[thisNote].txtDisplayNotePreview = txtDisplayNotePreview;
_root.selectList[thisNote].txtDisplayNoteView = txtDisplayNoteView;
}

--------------------------How can I troubleshoot this? Catch the vigorous horse of your mind!

If nobody else answers you... I'm willing to have a look at this later on tonight, eventhough I'm not very familiar with the attachMovie action. But I would only do so if you post a link to your uploaded .fla or e-mail it to me (zipped up) at oldnewbie@hotmail.com

It's often easier to test things like this with your current .fla as a base, rather than trying to build an example from scratch. Having a look at the .fla also often makes for a clearer picture, rather than having to decipher a post!

Regards,
wink4.gif
ldnewbie

Thank you. I will email you the link so you can download the fla. I would love to talk with someone about this project. I don't know anyone that has uses flash like I do (except via these forums). I have an xml string of policy notes loaded into flash, and I am trying to display all of the notes as their own movie clip inside of a mc that looks like a familiar html select list. It is pretty complete, except this last part.

Has anyone done something like this before that would care to share with me?

Liz Catch the vigorous horse of your mind!

Just e-mailed you a few thoughts!

Regards,

wink4.gif
ldnewbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back