Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a script

Status
Not open for further replies.

coke4us

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2002
US
I've been thrown into a position where I need to maintain user accounts, I'd like to create scripts to simplify typing. What's a good book /or site to start my new adventure? emailto:coke4us@hotmail.com?subject=Procomm

Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of ASPECT resources. There were several Procomm books written over the years, but I don't believe any were written for recent versions of Procomm, and I don't think ASPECT was covered in much details in any of those books. Quarterdeck released an ASPECT manual, which was basically a printout of the ASPECT help file. However, Symantec does not sell this book and I have not seen any copies for sale (I find mine very handy to read instead of flipping through the help file).

As for Internet resources, I think this forum is just about it for ASPECT. My recommendation would be to use Procomm's script recorder (Tools | Scripts | Start Recorder menu item) to record the steps you need to perform. You will have a script that consists of waitfor and transmit statements. What you will want to do is modify the recorded script such that a text of string (a username, for example) is replaced by a string variable. You can then modify your script so that it either asks for a username when it is run or lets you pick from a list of username, and then performs the recorded actins on the specified username. Hopefully that gives you some ideas.

I would suggest going through the section of the Aspect program help titled "Aspect Scripts: A Brief Tutorial".

It is a very fast way to use some examples and understand the basic concepts. Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

I agree with RL. Also look in Help/Scipt reference/Aspect command reference/Commands listed alphabetically, and go through each script from # to Z. There is an explanation of each and a sample. The sample can be blocked (from proc main to endproc), copied , and pasted to an aspect editor window. Select compile and save. Run the script to see what it does. I also recommend taking a basic programming course. If you understand the flow of a program, any program is easy. The only major difference is the syntax or commands proprietary to the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back