Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Resource 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWShetler

MIS
Feb 4, 2002
US
I want to create a mailbox for our 10th Floor Conference room and when people schedule a meeting for that conf room I want them to schedule them as a resource. If the conference room is empty or booked I want the mailbox to accept or decline automatically. I created a mailbox but someone has to answer on the 10th floor conf room's behave. How can I do this automatically?

You need to create a public folder
and in this public folder you can create a calendar.

with this, you can then give access to the needed users and they can all access it and book the meeting room.

Its better to just give access to the secretary, so she can move meetings around without people in the company interfering

You don't need a public folder to make this work at all.

Set the permissions on the mailbox so that you can create a MAPI profile, and use Outlook to open the mailbox. I've got OL2000, if you have a different flavour the options might be different, but look for Tools -> Options, Calendar Options button, Resource Scheduling. This has a tick box to "automatically accept meeting requests and process cancellations". When you tick that, you get 2 more tick options available, "automatically decline conflicting meeting requests" and "automatically decline recurring meeting requests" (we usually tick the first two and leave the last unticked).

Also on the same screen is a "set permissions..." button, this is a shortcut to the Properties of the Calendar folder. CLick the Permissions tab, and set a suitable permission for the group of people you want to be able to access the calendar - for instance, if you want everyone to be able to create bookings for the room, but not fiddle with other people's bookings, then a Default of Author will do. If you want to restrict bookings to a group of people (say a department), use a DL to grant the Author permission, and leave the default at None or Reviewer.

That's it. It should then function exactly as you wish.

the second suggestion did it thanks.... I wasn't looking to create a public folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back