Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a port 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanley640

Vendor
Jan 19, 2004
CA
In windows 98 How do I create a port 4. My modem is installed. any help would be great :) Thank you in advanced.

Do you mean com4? Usually this is created by a winmodem, you don't always have control over what com port gets created. On older ISA modems, you can set the com port via a jumper. What kind of modem do you have, and why com4?

Matt J.

BTW, you can add ports via the Add New Hardware applet in the control panel, but may not work depending on the modem type. If only COM1 and COM2 were created when you loaded the OS, you may have to create a port (which will be COM3), reboot, then add the fourth port. Again, why it must be COM4 and what type of modem would be helpful.

Matt J.

mattjurado

it was a plug n play whitch did not plug in at all. before I reformated the hard drive I had taken notes on witch was were. for some reason this modem will only play on com 4. Oh I quess I should mention that this is my bosses computer that I am cleaning up. This should explain why I know so little on this modem. I have not used widows 98 is about three years and have forgot all.
Thank you very much on trying to help. I finally got it tonight.. I don't know how but it worked. :}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back