Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a phone/address book

Status
Not open for further replies.

leca07

Technical User
Dec 22, 2001
YU
Here’s my problem: I’am about to create a phone/address book for a small town. The local post office gave me a MS Access data base consisting of both business and personal sections (that is tables). So, I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with it, since a data base cannot be inserted into Quark simply by choosing Get text option.
And the other thing – book’s organization. It’ll be consisted of business and private section and initial (title) letters (from A-Z) in both sections will have their own style. So I’m wondering how many master pages do I have to create ? (I’m working on a PC - WinXP Professional and in QuarkXpress 5).
Thanks in advance

It is possible to 'build' a calculation field within Access that would wrap codes around specific fields in your database. You can export from the database as CSV 'comma separated values' or something similar. Using this method you can pre-format large amounts of data and when importing into Quark everything is already styled.

Duncan

What you're trying to do can easily be handled by an xtension from emsoftware.com call "xData". The software costs $400 and can be downloaded from their site along with a user's guide and tutorial. You can use a query to export your data to a delimited text file then import it into Quark formated for your directory. For your requirements, the tutorial should be all you need to get it done. One catch, the production xtension is for Quarkxpress 4 or 5, the xtension for 6 is still in beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back