Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2001
US
I have been trying to go through the proper steps to creating a package. I have gone through the standard sms admin book and someone's guide from the net which think was recommended by Rod Trent and I still can't get it to work. I don't know if something is set wrong but when I go to manage shares on the server, I do not see a share called smspkg. This is on the site server and it is setup as a distribution point as I can see that as one of its roles. I created a new drive on the server after everything was setup which has about 30gigs of space. I am trying to start off with a simple install. I am assuming when they say source files those are the files from say the cd of the program I want to create. I have tried copying these to a directory on the drive I want to use and everytime I check it is erased.

Have you managed to fix this yet? I am in a similar position and am just trying to distribute a simple .exe file to clients. So far it is not working.

What is particularly frustrating is that I haven't found any way to force a distribution immediately. Consequently, I don't actually know if a change I have made is working right a way.

Any help would be appreciated.

you might want to try to reset the site as it seems that your distribution point is not responding. just put your cd in and there is an option to reset the site. try it!

the share on the distribution points is actually
\\servername\c$\SMSPKGC$

within that directory you will see 0000003 0000004 and so on for as many packages as you have made.

you are right with the source files. i also have a share call packages where i keep the 'lockbox' of files. they should always stay there for the duration that you have the advertisement. when you advertise a program, the package gets pushed to the \\servername\c$\smspkgc$ share.

when you are creating the advertisement, you can specify that you want the advertisement 'assigned' which will install once a countdown has finished.

hope this helps

jay

I actually did get it to work. My sms share actually showed after I created my first package and selected access distribution folder through common SMS package share on the data access tab of the package properties. Originally I chose share distribution folder. The install only ran for me because it was assigned. Once the time came it automatically installed.

I actually did get it to work. My sms share actually showed after I created my first package and selected access distribution folder through common SMS package share on the data access tab of the package properties. Originally I chose share distribution folder. The install only ran for me because it was assigned. Once the time came it automatically installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back