Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a .msi file

Status
Not open for further replies.

8Bits

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2002
IE
Hi all

I need to create a .msi file to deploy via group policy. Currently all I have a a .exe file which installs a java applett into the objects folder of the machine.

Problem: I need the file to work on both nt and 2000.

I have looked at a veritas product but frankly it seems to complicated ! Is there no simple way of converting this .exe to a .msi file ?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Gerry R

Do you have a Win2k Server CD?

On that is a program called WinInstall LE. It will create a snapshot of the install of the .exe and bundle it into a .MSI which you can push out via AD.

It's recommended you use a clean machine for the snapshot.

I'm not sure if it will work on NT though. Maybe you would need the AD client and the lastest Windows Installer on those clients?

Cheers for the reply. That isactually the software I was looking at (I think veritas are the creators of it).

I think for my particular case it is not very suitable as the file working on both NT and 2000 is vital.

Perhaps there's no other way ??

Thanks again
Gerry R

I find that Stannerack is on the right track, but don't do a snapshot.

You can create a new MSI and tell it what you want to do. Unfortunatly Winstall LE is not the greatest user interface and it can be tough to understand how it works.

Also, don't forget to make sure your Windows Installer software on your Windows NT machines are up to date.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Probably the best way to do this is to create a "msi shell" or "wrapper" that will just call the executables. It does require that you install something, so I normally just have the MSI install an empty notepad document to the temp folder. This allows the exe to run like it normally would, but all can be published via AD. I use Wise Installer for Windows, but there are others like: InstallMaster or InstallShield.

There are certain issues with this though. You will want to make it so the MSI does not show up in Add/Remove programs because the uninstall will be put in there with the exe as well. To do this in Wise installer for Windows, you add the property values:

ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT and
ARPNOREMOVE

Both require a value of 1.

Don't know if this is too helpful to you, but might give you a couple options anyway. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Tony

Thanks alot all

I just can't get my head around the veritas windows installer so at the moment I'm downloading Wise Installer for Windows (cheers tech4u).

Will post if I get into any trouble.

Best regards
Gerry R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back