Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Large Tiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixla

Technical User
Jan 28, 2014
Hiya I have Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. I need to create a BIG file from a photo. The Dimensions need to be in the 6000. After saving file as tiff from photoshop the biggest file size I can get is 4000 x 2000 in dimension and the file size is 57 MB. I need it double this. From this a printer will create big prints of original artwork so this is why they need such big files. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Why is InDesign being used?

Your printer may have told you to supply a "6000" image because your original image is too small. That does not mean you should stretch your image to oblivion. Your printer could have done that. Your printer was probably hinting that you should recreate the image or accept the fact that it has finite dimensions.

Hi Spamjim. The prints are sometimes up to 10ft wide so the image that they are printed from has to be super high resolution. I figured it out using photoshop, changing the dpi brings the file size up to what was needed. If you didn't know how to do it now you do :) I appreciate that you answered... thanks.

If you didn't know how to do it now you do

If you didn't know it is pointless to stretch a low resolution image, now you still don't. [bigsmile]

I don't think you have anything figured out. The only thing you have accomplished is making a larger, blurry file. You have not produced "super high resolution".

If resolution numbers do not make sense, think visually with an analogy. Imagine taking an italian greyhound and stretching its body and skin to the size of a horse. It is still not a horse and you've killed the dog. This is what happens when you attempt to enlarge an image without sufficient resolution. Please don't kill puppies.

Here are a few sites to explain image resolution...

Spamjim Thanks for the links! I learnt a lot :) No puppies being killed here... The image is high resolution to begin with so my way worked for the printer albeit not the best way around it. I'll do more research into. Appreciate your answer. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back