Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a high resolution PDF from Photoshop CS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNOTU

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
US
I have acrobat distiller 9 for windows and have been searching how to create a high resolution image from photoshp cs4 but can't find the right solution.

I have photoshop image 9x11.5 that needs to be converted to PDF but everytime I print it to PDF it comes out the size I need it to be but with a file size of 112 KB and looks low resolution.

Can you point me to setting I'm missing or information that could help me on how to save it at a higher resolutions?

Thanks

Thanks
- Tony

...it is possible to save from photoshop to pdf directly via file > save as, however resulting PDF files are pretty bloated in size...

...the other choice is as per what you are trying to achieve by printing and then have distiller create the PDF, the results do create smaller PDF file sizes than the "save as" method, but you also need to ensure the distiller settings aren't affecting the source file resolution (assuming it is 300dpi or higher)...

...so you therefore need to have distiller set to use a defined job options preset...

...distiller comes with some already provided, so try PDF/X-1a:2001, you should be able to choose which distiller settings file to use in the print setup dialog...

...you can of course make your own custom distiller settings by choosing settings > edit adobe pdf settings from within acrobat distiller, making your set up, then choosing the "save as" button, bottom left of the distiller setup dialog...

...the "color" section in distiller determines how you want the color to be handled, PDF/X-1a:2001 converts to CMYK, (if not already)...

...the "image" section controls the resolution and so forth, any images that exceed these values get down sampled to the resolution set by distiller, any resolutions below are left "as is"...

andrew

Both Distiller and Photoshop offer options for PDF creation. With either app it is possible to make a small or large PDF file.

It is best to keep focus on Photoshop as Distiller offers no advantages in this situation. You just need to explore the PDF options when saving from Photoshop.

...i wouldn't completely rule out distiller, as in my experience photoshop PDF creation can become bloated in size (without layers enable), when using the same PDF preset as distiller uses...

...when saving to PDF, one job i had came out at 92Mb (lots of vector bits and bobs), via distiller 14Mb and still vector, so with regards to file transfer it can be pretty advantageous, if this is of any concern...

andrew

just flatten the image and save as pdf. if this is for print i find this the best method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back