Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a Ghost Image that will be used for new users / replacement m

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepcguy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2009
US

I would like to make a Ghost image for a Dell E4300 Laptop. My goal is to install all needed programs / apps that our company uses. At that point when new users come along I can just image the new machine, set up their profile, having all needed programs available on that profile. My question is…do I set this up when logged on as Admin? And will all of these programs / apps carry over to any newly created profile? I know you can do this but have never done it myself.
Thanks Folks

You would need to run sysprep on the completed machine anyway otherwise you're opening your network up for a load of trouble with machines having the same SID.

There is no reason you can't do this, if you're packaging up things like Office 2003 etc then use the ORK and tailor your deployment for your environment (also if you're using Exchange at all create an entry with ORK that uses the
%username% as well as the server name for your Exchange environment).

As far as desktop shortcuts go, just place the shortcuts into the Default Users profile location (into the Desktop folder obviously).

Apart from that everything should work just fine.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back