Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Form for a Search Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgr430

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet in Excel that has 4 colums of data. I have imported the spreadsheet into an ACCESS database. What I want to do is build a form in ACCESS that would allow users to search for records in that database.

What would be the best way to do this. This is a very simple database that only 1 person will be using.

Thank you.

TRG

How simple? For example, you can create a form with Autoform or form wizard; you can click in a field and choose search from the menu bar or toolbar; you can use the filter by form from the menu bar or toolbar; there is a wizard for adding command buttons, including find. [ponder]

Here's something I put together that may give you some ideas about making time periods and other criteria dynamic.

The free downloadable sample database at uses the query by form concept so that on the invoices dialog one can optionally choose a rep, a customer, and perhaps a date range, click on a button that says "Input," and then have the invoice form open up showing all the invoices that match the criteria.

And here is how the query by form concept can work.

On the invoices dialog there are the following controls:
InvDateMin with DefaultValue of =DateSerial(Year(Date())-1,1,1)
InvDateMax with DefaultValue of =Date()
InvRepNum with DefaultValue of *
InvCustNum with DefaultValue of *

Also on the invoices dialog there is a command button called cmdInput to open the invoices form with the following code behind the OnClick property:
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmInv"

And of course there could be a button to open a report the same way:
DoCmd.OpenReport "rptInv", acViewPreview

The invoices form (frmInv) has RecordSource property of qryInv.

And the qryInv query's criteria for the InvDate field has:
Between [Forms]![frmInvDialog]![InvDateMin] And [Forms]![frmInvDialog]![InvDateMax]

And the qryInv query's criteria for the RepNum field has:
Like [Forms]![frmInvDialog]![InvRepNum]

And the qryInv query's criteria for the CustNum field has:
Like [Forms]![frmInvDialog]![CustNum]

One related point is that you probably wouldn't want to allow blanks (i.e. Nulls) in fields that are going to be used with Like in any criteria for that field. Otherwise the blanks wouldn't be shown.

For example (based on what is entered into a last name search field):

Like 'Smith' would show Smith records

Like '' would show no records (probably not what one would want)

Like '*' would show all records

And to counter that I like to have the search fields have a DefaultValue of * and not allow the search fields to be blank.

J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back