Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Domain Controller for Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red131

MIS
Aug 4, 2005
US
Hello All:

I need to test some new software on our network that requires a domain controller and have set up a Server 2003 virtual system for the purpose. I need to the DC to replicate with the other 4 DC on the network but want it to have as little interaction with the users itself.

On that note, how can I create a DC on the network that does not handle user authentication and event logging?

I am having the issue of users logging in and the testing DC logging the information on that server. When I demote this in the future, I will loose the log info. I know I can just export the logs but I want to avoid that if at all possible from the beginning.

Basically, I want a domain controller on the network with the network seeing it or having any interaction with it...

Thanx

I see 3 options -

1) Make it a true test environment and set it up as a separate domain (different name) that does not participate in replication with the other DC. You could possibly put in a trust relationship with your existing domain but that is extra work and you would need to clean that up when you are done with the test.

2) Isolate the test environment from your network - no IP connectivity allowed - and set up a copy of one of your existing DC. This gives you the same name, policies, etc but will not replicate or authenticate users.

3) Take your existing test DC that you have created and move it into a new site on a different subnet using AD Sites.

If you really need it to replicate with the other DC's then option 3 above is really your only choice.
Just make sure to give it a REALLY high site-link cost compared to any other sites you have.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back