Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a document collection based on group membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

rturnbul

Technical User
Feb 6, 2005
US
I would like to be able to create a LotusScript document collection based on people having membership in a particular group? i.e. give me a list of all the people who belong to a group called Internet, for example
Is this possible?

**Background- All the people who have acess to the Internet in our organization belong to a particular group(or groups). There is no field that denotes them as Internet users; just by being a member of these groups.

Possible ? Yes. Simple ? Not really.
If I understand correctly, you have a group of users that have Internet access, and you want to collect all docs created by them in a given database.
Question : Are these users recorded specifically in a Group in the Domino NAB ?

I will suppose so.

Therefor, you need to devise a script that opens the NAB, gets the Internet group document, and sets an item to the name list.
Once you have that, you need to go through all docs in your db, comparing the name(s) you want to check to the content of the list.
If the result is positive, you can then add that doc to your collection with the Add method of the NotesCollection object.

Of course, if you could set a field on the doc that flags the user as being an Internet user when the user edits the doc, that would allow you to just build a view of all flagged docs and set your collection from there.
This would obviously only work for future edits of the documents.

Pascal.

Thanks for your help ... but I didn't quite follow. Maybe this will help.

Everyone who has Internet access in our organization is a member of one of 5 groups, called Internet_users1 - Internet_users5. These groups were manually created in the Lotus Directory and administered by the Lotus admin. i.e each time someone was given access, the admin made them part of one of these aforementioned groups.

Other people in the company (Helpdesk) need a way to respond to questions like "Does John Smith have access or not?" I want to create a script that can easily determine whether John Smith is a member of one of these groups, and hence, has Internet access.

I have not found anything in notes that allows me to determine if someone has membership in a particular group. Also, there is nothing (like a field) at all that differentiates someone who has access from someone who doesn't. However,only the people in these groups have access.

Hope this clarifies.

There is no easy way to check group membership as of yet.

Now, if it is only a question of manually checking if or not someone has Internet access, then your problem can be easily solved by adding a view to the NAB on the server.
Indeed, a view of People by Group is still (after 7 versions of the product) sorely lacking in the default Notes template. Just copy the Groups by Category view, and change the value of the first column to show Members instead of Organizations. That way, you will have a view that lists all the groups of each individual person who is part of one. Then you can easily search for that person, and see if an Internet group is listed under his/her name.

Now, if you want a button for it, then unfortunately my response above is still a valid, step-by-step method. There is really no other way I can think of. I suggest you re-read each step carefully and try to visualize what is being done. I'm sure you'll get it, and you can always ask for additional info here if necessary.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back