Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Display Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3funct

MIS
Jul 13, 2000
US
Hi all,

I have a need for a display server at work which would be a Linux box running Redhat 7.1 for people on our network to be able to run an Xwindows program (i.e., Hummingbird Exceed) on their desktop to the display server and from there access the other Unix machines on the network. I've never done this before, but have seen it done. I was wondering how easy it is to do something like this and if there was any documentation on the internet where I might learn how to do it. What would be the best approach. Thanks for any and all help. d3funct
vanya43@yahoo.com
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

I would like to do the same thing. Ever get a response to your question???

No, but you can look at the XDMCP how-to on It helped alot. d3funct
vanya43@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot. The XDMCP how did the trick. I wonder why this kind of info is not in any of the Linux books I've looked at.

BTW I tried VNC. It works. But I don't like that you have to telnet in first to start the vncserver, then go back and run the vnc-viewer. Is there some way to auto start it??

Thanks again.

Yahve,

I was looking at that yesterday (what timeliness :) ). I was thinking about using it, but was wondering if I wanted to use it to serve MSwindows to my Linux box, would I have to install in on all my users pc's to access them? It seems to be kind of like PCanywhere, is that correct? d3funct
zimmer.jon@cfwy.com

kroetsch,

The vncserver is just a perl script, so I guess you could just put it in a start up script. I have not tried it.

d3funct,

You're right, you would have to install the `server` part on all machines. One big difference: it's free.

Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back