Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a delimited file

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaunbr

Technical User
Jul 5, 2006
US
I would like to run a select statement and save the results of the statement as a csv. I know it is possible, but not sure how to do it.

I am using this statement:

select * from personalinfo

I would like to save the results in a folder I have set up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi

I suppose you want to run that [tt]select[/tt] from the [tt]psql[/tt] interactive terminal.

If you want the entire table, is easier with [tt]copy[/tt] :
Code:
copy personalinfo to '/the_folder_you_set_up/personalinfo.csv';
Or you can set the output format then redirect the output to the file :
Code:
[blue]psql=#[/blue] \f '\t'
Field separator is '    '.
[blue]psql=#[/blue] \a
Output format is unaligned.
[blue]psql=#[/blue] \t
Showing only tuples.
[blue]psql=#[/blue] \o /the_folder_you_set_up/personalinfo.csv
[blue]psql=#[/blue] select * from personalinfo;
[blue]psql=#[/blue] \o
Or you can do it from the command line too ( assuming Linux and [tt]bash[/tt] ) :
Code:
[blue]master #[/blue] psql -F $'\t' -A -t -d [green][i]database[/i][/green] -h [green][i]host[/i][/green] -U [green][i]user[/i][/green] -c 'select * from personalinfo' > /the_folder_you_set_up/personalinfo.csv

Feherke.

I just realized, I am not selecting from a table, I created a view that has all of the personal info that I need, and none of the extra junk. The personalinfo "table" is really a view. I'm not sure if this changes up your previous posts or not. Thank you for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back