Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a counter to work as an ID Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexrp25

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
BR
Is there way in which I write a select code, I can create a field in which works as a counter, so that I can have a kind of ID for the line record?

for instance, I have table like the below:

Month Value
Jan 10000
Fev 10000
Mar 15000
Abr 10500

and I want the results below:

Month Value ID
Jan 10000 1
Fev 10000 2
Mar 15000 3
Abr 10500 4

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Alex.

It can be done if the result can be distinctly ordered

select month,value,
(select count(*) from t
where orderColumn <= tc.orderColumn) as id
from t as tc
order by orderColumn

Teradata has a function called CSUM that gives a running total for a numeric field. When CSUM(1,1) is used as a calculated field, the column starts at 1 and adds 1 to each subsequent row value.

There is also a function called RANK that adds a rank value to the numeric value, but this includes a value order that you may not want, and identical values get the same rank.

If you are not bothered about any order to assign the id, you can use rownum too.
eg : select month,value,rownum from tablename;

You are right, I thought this question was from the Oracle 8i forum. Sorry about that.

Rownum is not ANSI, but ROW_NUMBER is SQL:1999.

Teradata's CSUM was implemented before there was SQL:1999, but now it's also using standard compliant SQL. Btw, never use CSUM(1,1) as this will result in a totally skewed spool file. Use CSUM(1, any real column to order by) in V2R3
or
SUM(1) OVER (ORDER BY ....) in V2R4
or
ROW_NUMBER () OVER (ORDER BY ...) in V2R5

Dieter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back