Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jflmeing

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
US

I have a real simple question. It has been a while since I created a simple line chart.

When I click the Chart Wizard, I select the default line chart, uncheck 'Automatically set..' and go to the Data tab. I selectteh field I want for 'On change of' and the field I want for 'Show Values. Why does the 'Show Values' always show 'Sum of <field name>'? I do not want it to summarize, but I do not have the option to uncheck the box. How can I do that?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Because you are doing a 'group' chart, which is the default. This will limit you to the groups and subtotals that already exist in the report. If you want to design your own chart you use the detail or advanced option. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

I am trying to design my chart to use the detail or advanced option, but I do not see where to make sure this is set, instead of teh 'group' option. In the Data tab, I see the Layout options, but the only option available to click is the box, above the Advanced words.

Could you walk me through this please?

Thank you,
Jennifer

What version of CR are you using? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

What are your settings on the data screen?
Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

I have created a blank report, with no data on it. Which settings are you asking about?

Jennifer

The DATA screen of the chart expert. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

OK, screen isn't the right word. I mean the data TAB of the chart expert. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

You should see a setting at the bottom that says
&quot;don't summarize values&quot;

Highlight your &quot;show values&quot; field and see if you can check that. If not, change the top setting to 'for each record' then highlight your &quot;show values&quot; field and see if you can check it.

If that doesn't work, add a formula that is just your &quot;show values&quot; field, use this in the chart and see if you can check it. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

I had to add a formula for this to work. Thank you for your help.

The data type, from a SQL stored procedure recordset, is of type two decimal numeric value. Why do I need to use a formula? Is this new with Crystal 8.5?

Thank you again!!!

I am not sure why - it seems like a bug. I just noticed it today. So, confirm that the chart is accurate based on your data. The bug could have more symptoms. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
tek@kenhamady.com

I had to create the chart in Crystal 8.0 and upgrade it to Crystal 8.5. The formula name, with the @ symbol, looked bad in my legend.

Thank you for your help.

Jennifer

Hi,Ken Hamady
I ues Crystal report 8.5 and I created pie chart.
my problem is that the data label for pie chart has two decimal, but the legend has one decimal, How can i make two decimal for legend?

thanks in advince
prgao

I don't know of a way to control that setting. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

I have the exact same problem as the original post and cannot for the life of me get CR 9 to let me check the &quot;Don't Summarize&quot; box. &quot;Automatically set chart options&quot; is unchecked, layout is advanced, I'm using a formula field and have tried all sorts of combinations (including those listed above) to let me plot just individual values. If there is another idea, please let me know. Thanks.

I have a bar chart on my report and i am showing it into web. if the text of the axis is too long then it gets overlapped to others. is there any way to control this?
or may be can we have some alias for the axis and provide the legend for them.

Thanks for any help;

Janardan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back