Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CreateObject status box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesh

Programmer
Jul 24, 2001
US
Hi,

Recently I created a standard VB .exe that calls a single-threaded .dll server. I feel good that it's working, but I have a question.

The user enters a code into the .exe, and the .exe then looks up the .dll to "run" by searching through an INI file. When it finds the .dll and loads it, I notice that there is, for a split-second, a dialog box that appears and disappears before I can read it. I surmise the message(if any) is to the affect that an object is being loaded???

I never knew this was a "feature" of using CreateObject()? I thought the .dll would be loaded totally unbeknownst to the user at the console.

Do I need to worry about it? Can I eliminate it(if so how?) and reduce the load time, even by a small amount? I have no idea what's happening at the OS level(Windows 2000 server) to make this architecture work, but would like to prepare myself if something goes wrong in the future, in production.

The .dll does not have an GUI interface, it is made up of 3 .bas files and 1 .cls file. It logs its workings to a text file, and at various stages it sends MAPI emails and faxes. It also updates Access tables. I have a custom Startup() method in it that I call from the client .exe just after calling CreateObject(). I do not have a Class_Initialize() in the .dll as that didn't seem to work for me.

Thanks in advance for filling the gaps in my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back