Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Created ms access form to table & network users cannot view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kativs

Technical User
Sep 19, 2008
US
Help. I am a novice to microsoft access but was able to successfully create a table and some querys then I shared the info on my network. The links work fine and all can view and make changes as I wanted.
I have since created a "form" for the users to be able to conveniently use in making any changes. But they cannot see the form. If the form is linked to my table and the table's back end is viewable on the network, why can't they see the form?
Note: I believe we are working with Access 2000. Please speak in Access for Dummies terminology. I appreciate any help.

No. All I did was create the back end copy and add to the network so users can view/change. We tested that and it works but as I said since then I created a new form and they can't see the form. The links are all there. I even tried unsharing the database and re-sharing it. Same result.

Any new replies here? I'm still stumped.
Thanks much.

Kativs,
Can you tell us if your Access application consists of only one shared MDB file or if you have separate front-end and back-end MDB files?

Ideally everyone should have a copy of the front-end containing all of the forms, reports, queries, code, etc. The tables are stored in a shared back-end MDB file on a network drive. You can freely change a copy of the front-end and the distribute it to users after you have made updates to forms or reports or whatever.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Well, these front ends and back ends are messing my head up. Here's what I think I originally did if I remember correctly.
I made a copy of the database. I put that copy in a shared folder for the network users and called it the BE. Then I did the relationships. However in doing so it created my front end as a whole other table. So now in my documents I have 2 tables inside this database, one which has an arrow and is apparently linked to the network copy and my original table that doesn't appear linked. I was going to keep this copy as a backup copy.
Did I do something wrong? How can I correct any problems. Should I start from scratch and delete the backend network database?
Thanks for any help.

What do you mean by "Then I did the relationships"? If I understand correctly, your MDB file contained both links to the network tables and also the original tables. You should only be using the tables in the network/back-end MDB file.

When I split a database, I copy the original database file to the network and then open a new, blank MDB file. I link the tables from the back-end and then import all of the forms, queries, reports, code etc.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back