Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Created Complicated Chart with two axis, stacked Columns, and a line

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhtChoklat

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
Here is the situation...

I am currently creating an application that grabs a data dump; exports, formats, and creates a MS Access Database. It then exports the data to different Excel Worksheets and Graphs are created. I have everything working, but I can't get the graphs to reflect the data that I want them too.

Here is the Problem.

I need to create a Two Axis, Stacked Column Chart, with a line graph as the second series.

I need the XlCategory to be the assignment group (These names pertain to the Columns in my worksheet). I also need the stacked columns to be stacked by Priority. Then I need to have a line bar that reflects another number that is created.

Can someone help me or poing me in the right direction? I am shooting in the dark here.

Well, I have the data transfered into Excel, now I want to hard code a chart. I need to create two Series, one of which is stacked, and I need to create a second axis. I am not really a coder, but I have been elected to code this in VBA. I am looking for all the help I can get.

Try recording a macro of the chart creation and then editing the macro (i.e. removing unneeded code, adding variables etc.). If you are having problems after that then ask for help with that, don't ask us to create it for you.

You can do a keyword search and read the FAQs in this forum and the Microsoft Office Forum to give you an idea on chart coding.

Good Luck! [thumbsup2]

Whay are you coding anything? Use the chart wizard to set up the chart the way that you want. I would strongly suggest that you use named ranges for each series. You can use the following formula the keep the named range "current" with each new input of data...
Code:
=offset($B$2,0,0,counta($B$2:$B$65536))
assuming that your ranges are in columns and row1 contains series names.

Define each in Insert/Name/Define

Use thos names in the Source Data Series window as such...
Code:
Sheet2!MyName
No coding needed! :)

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Skip,

I'm sure you meant: =offset($B$2,0,0,counta($B:$B)-1,1) Didn't you?

;-)

Peace! [peace]

Mike

Never say Never!!!
Nothing is impossible!!!

and that's why you can use counta($B:$B)-1

;-)

Peace! [peace]

Mike

Never say Never!!!
Nothing is impossible!!!

The Reason I am coding it is because I am not the end user, if I was the end user I would just use the wizard, but I was given the task of pulling info from a data dump, formating it, creating reports, and automatically creating the Charts in a clik of the button. That is the reason why I am coding it. The end users are not Excel savvy.

All I'm saying is that if you get the new data to append to or replace the old data, then there's no more programmin that has to be done to keep the chart up-to-date.

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back