Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Word Field w/Default Text - replaced on text entry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattGreer

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
A while back I had a template that had these fields that were highlighted, so you couldn't miss them. They had a bit of default text in them. When you clicked on them, the entire field would be selected and as soon as you started typing the field would be deleted and your text would remain.

I'd like to re-create that in a template I have to speed up text entry, but so far my attempts at creating such a field have failed.

Would someone be able to give me (or link me to) a step-by-step method for creating such a field? I would really like it to be highlighted so it catches my eye, but the highlight has to go away once I start typing.

Thanks!!

Matt

Use:
Insert > Quick Parts > Field

Select: MacroButton field

Click: Field Codes Button

Replace: 1st parameter with None - this is a non-existent name of a macro to run when the field is clicked!

Add: a second parameter which will act as the on screen prompt. e.g. Enter Your Name

Back in the document press Alt + F9 to show the field codes e.g. {MacroButton None Enter your Name}
Format the prompt within the code with a highlight of your choice.

Press Alt + F9 to return to normal view.

You should now see your highlighted prompt, when you click in the prompt and type any text the prompt (including the MacroButton field) will be replaced with text formatted to match the surrounding text.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back