Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create view in SQL 2000 db from 2008 Managment Studio 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahMH

MIS
May 16, 2003
GB
Hi
I am trying to create a view in my SQL 2000 database from a table of data that is constantly being updated on a a SQL 2008 database.

Is it possible? and if it is how do I reference them?

I am brand new to Management Studio and SQL 2008 (training scheduled for April!) so any info would be much appreciated.

It is a simple view using a select statement. The more complex statements will be within the webpages.

Thanks

Do you have acces to Management Studio for 2000 instance?

Simi

I am using query analyzer in 2000 and Management Studio in 2008.

To get round the issue I have create the view in my .asp webpage but I would like to know if it is possible for future reference/

Thank you

This can be done. In fact there are several ways to do it. In my opinion, the best way would be to open Enterprise Manager, connect to the SQL 2000 database instance, and then create a linked server to the 2008 database. Once the linked server is configured properly, you can use the 4 part naming convention to access it.

To help you, do google searches on: "sql2000 configure linked server"

and

"sql server linked server 4 part naming convention"

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back