Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create variable from column data to send to package

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottiedg

Programmer
Feb 26, 2016
US
I have a job that I want to run that passes a variable to an ssis package. The variable is a filename but the filename changes daily. I have an access front end that the user enters the filename into. The access program runs a stored procedure which writes the filename to a temp table and then runs the job. I would like the job to query that table for the filename and pass it along to my package variable.

I can get the job to work using a static filename. On the set values tab I used the property path \Package.Variables[User::FileName] and the value \\myserver\..\..\..\filename.txt. But I don't know how to replace that filename with the results of the query

Thanks in advance.

I am still interested to hear if there is another way to handle this but I ended up creating an Execute SQL Task in my package that assigns the value in the temp table to my package variable.

Edit:
I may have spoke too soon. The data source saved in my job step was still an value in my package. I had removed the value but didn't re-import the package to SQL. Now that I did that it is not importing anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back