Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create User in a Stored Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmsousa

IS-IT--Management
Nov 24, 2000
PT
Hi,

In a form, i have a button that would create a new user. this button has got the following code:

create_user :)user_name, :user_password, :user_database);

in this procedure i put the following code to create the new user:

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE CREATE_USER (user_name IN VARCHAR2, user_pass IN VARCHAR2, user_db IN VARCHAR2)
IS

V_CURSORID INTEGER;
V_NUMROWS INTEGER;
V_TRIGSTRING VARCHAR2(100);

BEGIN

V_CURSORID := DBMS_SQL.OPEN_CURSOR;
V_TRIGSTRING := 'CREATE USER' || user_name || 'IDENTIFIED BY ' || user_pass || ';';

DBMS_SQL.PARSE(V_CURSORID, V_TRIGSTRING, DBMS_SQL.NATIVE);
--DBMS_SQL.PARSE(V_CURSORID, V_TRIGSTRING, DBMS_SQL.NATIVE);
DBMS_SQL.CLOSE_CURSOR(V_CURSORID);
END;

But i haven´t got any results!
It brings to me this error:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SYS_SQL", line 782
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_SQL", line 32
ORA-06512: at "create_user", line 16
ORA-06512: at line 1

How can i do this?
Thanks in advance.

Procedures will run using the privileges of the original creator. You need to make sure the procedure is created by a user who has 'create user' privilege.

In fact procedures are NORMALLY executed under the priviledges of their creator (so called early-binding). This is not the case for dynamic sql, because the priviledges are checked while parsing the statement. The user who calls your procedure must have explicit right to create user.

Try using this ...maybe it'll help. I dont remember the exact code but it goes somting like that

Forms_ddl('Create User :TxtUN identified by :txtPw')

passing ddl statement on the form could be alternate approach

Cheers!
Aqif

You can not use bind variables within quotes, they will be treated as string literals. FORMS_DDL really executes ddl commands, so if you do not plan to use your procedure somewhere else, it's the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back