Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create user account in XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilihp

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
There are two user accounts on this machine - one named 'Administrator' and the other 'Guest' (turned off). When I create a new account the only option is for one with administrator rights. If I create a new account with a particular name, upon reboot my original 'Administrator' account has disappeared and I cannot access the files I had created with the original 'Administrator' account.
The only way to get back this account was to do a system restore.
I want to create a new account with limited access whilst retaining the original 'Administrator' account - what am I doing wrong??

Administrator account is for troubleshooting. To get to user administrator you are suppose to F8 into safe mode. Then have the admin option.

When you created a user, it saw it as the first user and put the admin in default mode.

Try this
Start
control panel
User Accounts
Change the way users log on and off

Try that and tell me if thats what you wanted. Remember, you can always F8 and log in safe mode, so that you can again login to the administrator account.

Enable Administrator account on Welcome Screen (MVP Doug Knox) -

Microsoft's TweakUI permits XP users to add the Administrator account to the Logon screen.

Download TweakUI from the link below:

run TweakUI and click "Logon" option in the left pane. Put a checkmark against the option "Show Administrator on Welcome Screen".

Click OK to close TweakUI. Logoff and see if Welcome Screen lists Administrator login.

The changes are immediate and you can use the Winkey + L to switch back to Welcome Screen to see Administrator account is listed.

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for your explanation. So how can I convert my existing 'Administrator account' to a 'user Administration account'? Changing the way users log On or Off is not the difficulty at the moment. I hope I have understood you correctly.

BigBadBen many thanks - my last post crossed with yours; will try TweakUI and report back.

BBB, TweakUI worked! - the only slight inelegance is that a second Administrator account has to be created before a limited account can be created; never mind, I can live with that! Thanks again.

Phil, take a look at:

TechNet Support webcast: Make your Windows XP PC more secured

scroll down a bit, it will tell you how to rename the account...

also:

Copy User Profiles in Windows XP

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back