Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create table as select /*+ parallel/ from

Status
Not open for further replies.

himridul

Programmer
Jun 23, 2003
US
Hi ,

Following is a create table statement :

CREATE TABLE TEMP
PARALLEL 64 NOLOGGING
PARTITION BY HASH (EMP_ID)
PARTITIONS 64 STORE IN (MRI_D)
AS
SELECT /*+ PARALLEL (emp, 64) PARALLEL(detail,64) USE_HASH(emp,detail) */
emp.emp_id emp_id
,deatil.house_id house_id
,detail.first_name first_name
,detail.last_name last_name
FROM
employee emp
,emp_details detail
WHERE
emp.emp_id = detail.emp_id;

Now , We have 16 processors . And each processor has Degree of parallelism = 4 .

EMPLOYEE table contains 170 millions of data.
EMP_DETAILS table contains 70 millions of data .

I couldn't test this query with 16 processors . I did test the query in 4 processors.

My question is :
Does this query create 16 different thread because we have 16 processors and we are using PARALLEL hint . Because when we are going to create the table using this query , the query is getting hanged . we had to kill this process .

Does anyone have any idea regarding this ?
Or is there any material regarding this? I tried several material in the net , but didn't dind out appropriate one .

Any help plz ......

Hi,

Here are few things u need to try:
* As empl and details tables are very big, u must partition these tables(this will help query performance)
* Try to create indexes (use bitmap indexes) whereever applicable.
* Have you analyzed these tables and computed statistics?
* If you are going for RBO, identify hints that you need to give.
* Last but not the least, how do u know ur query has hanged? Its still active, but taking too much of time to return. R u really sure that theres no activity going on?
* Before running this query, make sure u kill all inactive sessions or active ones that take too much of CPU time (if its a production bbox, then it'll be tough to do this)

from my experience, doing these things helped performance of my queries that were accessing really huge tables...

tkrish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back