Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Remote ODBC over Internet???

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
I am looking into ways that I can get data to my internet provider. One possibility that I was considering (I really don't even know if it's possible) was to create a remote ODBC connection from their internet server to my database. Both of our networks are behind firewalls so I would imagine that we would have to open up a port or two.

Is this advisable or should I look for another way to get this done? I thought about building an XML file and then porting that to their server every night but we're talking about a lot of data and multiple files/tables.

If your internet provider provides secure shell (SSH) access, then you should be able to create a tunnel from your secure shell client to your host. I do this fairly often using SSH Secure Shell, MyODBC and MySQL. This ends up looking like an ODBC datasource on the client, but the MySQL database is on the remote server, tunneling through SSH.

This would be a much better approach than opening up ports without a high begree of security in place.

Tom Morrison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back