Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Query in Access Data Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bethabernathy

Programmer
Jul 13, 2001
MX
Hi There - I am trying to find out if it is possible to create a query in an access data project (.adp) located on my computer that links to a sql database. I was able to generate a query in Enterprise manager, but couldn't figure out how to save it. I am unsure, but I guess the routine would be a stored procedure, but that seems to be very different coding that a sql select statement. Does anyone have any information for me in this regard? Thanks, Beth

beth@integratedresourcemgmt.com

In MS Access you've got queries of all types, but basically in two major categories. They are Select or Action queries. Select queries simply pulls information together so that it can be displayed. Action queries usually performs some work (e.g. append, update, delete, make-table, etc.)

In SQL you've got the two major categories. They are called Views and Stored Procedures.

Think of your Select queries in Access as Views in SQL, and your Action queries in Access as Stored Procedures in SQL.

Once you've connected your ADP file to a SQL database, you should see all of the tables and queries (views and stored procedures) in that SQL databases. Those tables and queries are not part of the ADP. However, your forms, reports, macros, and modules are in the ADP file. (Try breaking the connection to the SQL Server and you will see that all your tables and queries have disappeared.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back