Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create PDF to Allow Elctronic Signature 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
VB.net.
I would like to create PDF files that I would send to customers for their electronic signature and have them returned to me.
I know how to programmatically create the PDF from the RDLC report, but without the signature feature.
I've done some searching on the net but I don't seem to find the answer.
Can somebody point me in the right direction with tips or other links?

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

How are you creating the PDF, with a library or something?

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

I'm p[resuming simply by exporting to PDF from the Report Builder ... in which case, no, sorry,as you seem to have discovered, that does directly support editable forms, or electronic signatures. However, your recipient should be able to open the PDF using Acrobat Reader, and use the Fill & Sign tool

Thanks, I'm programmatically creating the PDF from a RDLC report that then gets emailed.
I'm new to this e signature on a PDF, is there something special I need to do in the RDLC report format?
The PDF's I have e-signed in the past I thought had a specific field that I needed to click, maybe this was just my understanding of what to do at the time.
Sorry for the lack of experience with this.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

>I'm programmatically creating the PDF from a RDLC report that then gets emailed

How so?

>The PDF's I have e-signed in the past I thought had a specific field that I needed to click

Quite so - it is possible to create PDFs with fillable fields, including e-signatures. But you cannot do that with the basic export as PDF (which is what I expect you are actually doing) capability in Microsoft products. But thos same Microsoft-create PDFs are not locked, so Acrobat reader can add stuff to them - and an e-Signature is one of the things that can be added through Fill & Sign feature

Thanks strongm, that is very helpful.
Here is how I'm creating the PDF.
After its created it's sent as an attachment in an email.
Code:
Dim pdfContent As Byte() = ReportViewer1.LocalReport.Render("PDF", Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing, Nothing)

' Create PDF file on disk
Dim pdfFile As New System.IO.FileStream(pdfFileName, System.IO.FileMode.Create)
pdfFile.Write(pdfContent, 0, pdfContent.Length)
pdfFile.Close()

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

yep - so as suspected, just using the ReportViewer's built-in PDF export capability

Thanks for the help. Looks like I have some more work to do.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back