Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Page to upload files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgcomm

Technical User
Jul 15, 2005
I use Dreamweaver to make my websites so I don't have a lot of programming knowledge. What I want to do is make a page on my website where people can upload files. These files would be manly graphic files (tif, jpeg, or zipped) that are too big to email. Is there an easy way to do this? It wouldn't necessarily have to be password protected.

What server-side technology does your server have - ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, Coldfusion, Java Server Pages? You'll need to use one of those to put the file on the server.

Lee

I believe it is ASP. So what would I have to do to set up a page like that?

You need to find out exactly what it is. Classic ASP doesn't have anything built in to handle file uploads, though you can find some ASP-only (VBScript) that are supposed to be able to handle that if you do a Google search for "ASP file upload".

You can also ask if your web host has any ASP file upload package installed on the server that you can use.

Lee

If you are simply looking to transfer files from one place to another you may be able to save yourself some work. How about these options?

1. Use FTP.
2. Make use of a service such as Dropsend.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

I'd be interested in this as well. I one day would like to think that if I setup a website with a database set a certain way, that I could also setup an "upload" page locally to the website.

If tgcomm is talking about the same thing I am (not the same site, of course), then what we would like to allow for is this:

For someone assisting in the design of or just providing content for a particular website, they could have a web page for submitting pictures to be used on the website. I don't think that the DropSend service would work for that, since it's going via email.

I know that I would like it setup so that, for instance, audio and possibly video files could be uploaded to a default folder on a web server for a website, and then have the database see the event of the new file, and update the website accordingly.

I would think that would be a great thing to do, though it seems it might also be a little difficult to accomplish, so it'd take a lot of time or a lot of money to buy the programming or pay the additional designer/database engineer.

I would think they have something like that for sites such as DIGG and even Amazon. Amazon, for instance, allows anyone to add personal images associated with products they sell - at least I think it was Amazon. [smile]

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this topic. I won't be able to do anything really soon with it, but it'd be good to catalog for future (hopefully sooner than later) reference.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

King James, PHP and ASP.NET have that all built in already, so all you'd have to do is have a PHP or ASP.NET page to submit the upload to. For classic ASP, go a Google search for "ASP upload" for a variety of ideas. The first 2 are free with the server-side technology, and fairly easy to implement.

Otherwise you'll need to set up FTP access for someone to upload things to the website.

Lee

Thanks for that info, trollacious!

I do believe that is what I'm looking to do. I won't go into detail here, so as to not hijack this thread, but just for informational purposes:

Right now, the site I'm looking to change was designed, and is maintained via Frontpage (please, no laughing). [wink] [notice the wink, implying sarcasm - I know you can still do good websites with Frontpage, though MS is ceasing or has ceased supoprt].

Anyway, based on what I've seen and liked online of drupal, I'm considering totally rebuilding the site (some day) using Drupal. I'm not sure if I'll use DreamWeaver or not, but it seems that is a possibility there. I'm mainly wanting to go that route based on the design for the listing of audio files I've seen at this site:

My current sermons page is here:

I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that I'm headed towards a very painful page (both on the user, and the designer) to deal with, as if it already wasn't getting painful.

I'm sure there are other ways to get the same results, but from what I've read, seen at that site and others, I'm thinking I may want to go that route. If I end up starting there, but later finding I don't care for it, it will at least be a learning experience.

Of course, I've got to tear myself away from other things before I can get anything accomplished there. [smile]

--

KJV - If I were you I would also have a look at Joomla. I've found it much better than Drupal for the work I have done.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Seems like I've at least seen that one mentioned somewhere as well. I'll have a look.

I'm still just in the planning/thinking phase of the whole changeover thing, anyway. I don't want to make a jump until I'm fairly confident that I'm sure of what I want to do.

Also, I don't want to go and make a big change, then change again, etc. For my sanity, and those that visit the site regularly. [smile]

--

willif,

Could you post a link to your site, so I could take a look at what you did with Joomla? That is, if you've got it up - fully working or not.

Thanks.

--

I built a big intranet with Joomla. Never again.

It's brilliant if your site fits within it's model of "Section, category, page" anything else and your into hacking it about. Not sure if the newer version with more flexible structure is out yet.

In it's favour it is pretty easy to get it to look however you wish it to look, has a decent community with help available if you are stuck and a whole load of plugins and addons.

You can build a wide variety of sites with Joomla! but only use it if it fits exactly with your needs otherwise the effort put into bending it would be better put into building your own solution (or finding another one!)

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

From what I have seen so far on Joomla stuff vs the Drupal stuff, I've liked the Drupal stuff much better, as far as the final products.

I've not looked at any sites yet developed with Joomla, but I have problems with if their own site has issues, then how will others be able to use the software any better? It might have just been a one day thing though.

The Drupal stuff I found on accident when looking at how other church websites had their audio files listed/organized. I contacted one of the churches to find out about theirs, and they told me about drupal.

It looks like it could be promising, but I'm still not 100% sure that I'll end up going with any particular platform just yet.

Anyway... lots to do... too much! [wink]

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back