Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Package using batch or executable file

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydd

MIS
Mar 14, 2002
US
In the passed I have used SMS Installer to create packages.
Can you create a package that runs an executable? or a batch file. Without having to use SMS Installer?

not sure i understand what you are trying to do. are you tring to create an exe or bat from scratch or do you already have one and are just trying to push it out. The program properties automatically browses for exe, you just have to change it to all files.

if you know how to write a bat file for the specific package then you just point the program to that bat file.

I have created a batch file that will do the install.
The only problem is the Install needs a drive letter
and can't use UNC names. Do I have to copy all of the install files to a folder on the SMS Server or can I map a drive letter to the server that has all my install software?

Hi rydd,
you have the possibility to tell SMS that your package requires a drive-letter or even a specific drive-letter.
You can do this under the Program Properties of the Package by clicking on Environment.

Hope, this helps !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back