Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Outlines makes fonts Dark & ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogbrain4

Technical User
Nov 3, 2003
CA
This is what I did: Software Used(Illustrator 10, Distiller 6, Adobe Acrobat Pro 6.0)

I don't want my PDF to list the fonts used (ie. embedd them) BUT I noticed that when I SELECT ALL, then CREATE OUTLINES it DARKENS the nice crisp fonts and makes all the text look bold.

I tired 2 methods of printing to see if it was just the screen.

1. I printed a *.ps file in Illustrator 10 from the project with CREATE OUTLINES in it. It was Post Script L3, ASCII mode and Press Quality. I then created it in Distiller 6 at press quality.
2. I printed a 2nd output as just PDF Writer in the Print options instead of using Distiller. It outputted a PDF straight from Illustrator 10.

BOTH LOOKED BOLDED compared to the outputs that had the fonts embedded.

HOW CAN I ACHIEVE TYPE OUTPUT IN A PDF WITHOUT EMBEDDED FONTS THAT WILL MATCH THE SCREEN LOOK IN ILLUSTRATOR 10 - ie. Crisp clean original look.

Not so much help, I'm afraid... I've had the same problem. I kinda figured that's just the way it is. You can't use the native illustrator file without outlining fonts? I wonder if it has anything to do with font type (true type, post script, opentype)? Anyway I'm also curious about a possible solution.

In text size of less than 10-12 points or so, outlining will always increase the apparent thickness. It's not so noticeable in larger point sizes like headlines and subheads, but I don't think it is possible to create outlined text in a smaller size and avoid the 'bolded' effect it produces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back