Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create msi file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2005
US
I would like to create an msi file and don't know how to create one. I would like to use this msi file for automatic software deployment in active directory. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would really appreciate it.

If you want to convert a legacy .exe type setup, you'll need to repackage using some repackaging software. This is where you have a clean workstation (ie only the OS+SP+patches installed). The basic idea is capture a before snapshot when the system's clean; install your software and configure it as you want it on the clients, run the after snapshot. The repackaging software then performs the following: AFTER - BEFORE = CHANGES. The changes are then created into an MSI file. Of course it's more complicated than that.

If this is the first time you're repackaging, I'd recommend Wininstall LE 2000 for it's relative simplicity and ease of use. This is included as an extra on the Windows 2000 CD.

For more comprehensive software there's the relatively cost-effective MaSaI editor... or if you've got the budget Wise or Installshield.

Appdeploy ( is a very useful resource for application deployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back