Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Internal website/Intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bickyz

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
GB
I hav LAN with 1 w2k advancecd server and 60 w2k professional clients. I want to create internal website which will be hosted from server. Like i want to put things like information of company, news, games in this website and also i want to put bbc.co.uk website and some other helpful websites in this internal website. So that when users click on internet explorer button they will get their homepage as this internal website. How do i do it?

You will need to create your website using either Frontpage / dreamweaver etc. Once you have created your intranet site you can then publish your intranet site - using the software you used to design your intranet site - to a web sharing enabled folder on your server (frontpage should automatically web enable the folder you publish your intranet files to), otherwise you can right click on the folder and activate web sharing through the sharing option.

You will need to use IIS which is built into win2k server. Open IIS and create a new website. In the properties of your new site (right click the name of your new intranet/website site displayed in the IIS tree and select properties from the drop down menu) -set the ip address you would like to access your website through: note this should be a private address {class c address) as you dont want the site to be accessed from the intranet). set the location of your intranet folder and indicate your homepage - these options will be available on the various tabs. If you need to setup security etc you will need to do some research into setting the security up.

You will be able to access your intranet website by opening internet explorer and typing in the url of your iis server eg this should open the homepage you specified in the properties. You can set up DNS if you would like to give your site a proper url.

You may need to learn how to use frontpage / dreamweaver to design your site and add links to other sites eg bbc website, however it is relatively easy and you should be able to find eg's on the web. There are also templates available when you use these programs which are already setup and you just have to customise them.

Another suggestion if you dont fancy creating your own web site is to use Sharepoint Team Services

it will run under Windows 2000 AS and IIS v5. There are some sample sites listed under the link below but they are ones that require Frontpage 2002:

If you would like to see the default look click the demo link off the first link.

It is a good product that doesnt really require any development work unless you would like to customize it. It is secure and user accounts can be setup using the windows 2000 domain or manually created accounts and access levels can be set so users can add announcements and similar stuff. As for DNS stuff snipesnab got it spot on.

Hope this helps.

I would just use what tools came in the box and a good book with video on creating a webserver can be found at
I bought this a while back and setup my own Server. You will need to know a little bit about HTML to really make it snazy.

ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back