Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create dropdown box from directory names

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguderian

IS-IT--Management
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hello All!

Im really new to web development, and am just getting started.

I have an internal site that I need to build that will display our product pricing that resides on a file server with the following file types(.xls, .pdf, .doc).

All of these files reside in a folder that is the name of the manufacturer ex: Sony.

Currently I have a bunch of links pointing to the files. I dont particularly like the functionality of this.

I would like to have a page that will list through the directoris, and popluate a list box with the manufacturers name(folder name). Then have another box that you can select the pricing file(July, August, etc.). From there I would like that selection to open the file within a frame on the page.

Ideally I would also like a way to have some information boxes when you select a manufacturer such as pricing details specific to that manufacturer. Also if I change a file I would like it to display the "last updated date" somewheer when you select the specific file.

If I need to post more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Cant some sort of vbscript running behind the html accomplish this task?

The link that you provided is close to what I want, however I dont actually want to display an entire folders contents.

I would like to list the directory name (like in your example), but in a drop down box list the file names available. Then upon selection will launch the particular file in a frame on the same page.

Thanks for your help

i dont think so
from what i understand the script to access the files and directories needs to run on the server before sending the result html to the browser.

javascript, vbscript and html arenot server side scripts.

theres some javascript here that might help you
Aaron Taylor
John Mutch Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back