Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Control Panel Shortcut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zestril5

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
Is there a way to create a shortcut on the desktop to control panel. It was easy in 98 but I've tried various methods of shortcut creation in xp Pro and can't seem to get control panel. Not that it's really needed but it bugs me that I can't do it.

Start, right drag control panel to the desktop, release mouse button, create shortcut here.

That was the first thing I tried. Rich clicking has no effect on any of the icons except thosre listed under programs

Works here - are there any policies in effect that would prevent you from doing this? Are you saying that plain old right click does not bring up a context menu for control panel in the start menu? If that's the case we'll have to do some searching to see what's causing this.

Yes, there are policies. Look for them under Security
tabs using gpedit.msc

O, don't all make it so complicated.

Creat a new Folder on your Desktop, name it ControlPannel or anything you want.
Open (File) Explorer, goto Windows, search for *.cpl.
Copy all the control panel items you want in the Clipboard, Select them with Ctrl-click, right-click - copy.
Open the NewFolder on your Desktop and in there right-click and select Past as Shortcut.
Voila, you have a customized Control Panel on your Desktop.
No tweaking or policies needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back