Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Calculated Field in Query using multiple fields. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeysee

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
US
Good Afternoon,
I think this is a very simple problem, but I just can't get it correct.
I have a query that has the following fields: Fee, PaymentAmt and Adjustment
I wish the query to calculate the balance after all payments and adjustments have been applied.
This is what I have so far: Balance: [fee]-[Adjustment]-Nz([paymentamt],0)
When I run the query, it returns NO records.
What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you might have put your expression in the Criteria rather than the Field row. Can you share the SQL view of your query? It should be something like:

SQL:
SELECT Fee, PaymentAmt, Adjustment, [fee]-[Adjustment]-Nz([paymentamt],0) as Balance
FROM [YourTableNameHere]

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Here it is (there are more fields than I stated above, but aren't relevant to the calculation problem)- I also removed the 'adjustment field out of the expression so that I could have the query produce records until I got the complete expression correct. Thanks again for your help!

SELECT Clients.ClientId, [Lastname] & " " & [FirstName] AS Name, Visit.VisitDate, Service.ProcedureCode, Service.Modifier, Service.Fee, Clients.Primary, Clients.Secondary, VisitDetails1.Adjustment, VisitDetails1.PaymentAmt, VisitDetails1.PaymentDate, VisitDetails1.PaymentComments, [fee]-Nz([paymentamt],0) AS Balance
FROM ((Clients LEFT JOIN Visit ON Clients.ClientId = Visit.Client_ID) LEFT JOIN VisitDetails1 ON Visit.VisitID = VisitDetails1.VisitID) LEFT JOIN Service ON VisitDetails1.ServiceID = Service.ServiceTypeID
WHERE (((Visit.VisitDate) Is Not Null) AND ((Clients.Primary) Is Not Null) AND (([fee]-Nz([paymentamt],0))<>0))
ORDER BY [Lastname] & " " & [FirstName];

I got it to work! What I did: Instead of using the expression builder, I went directly to the SQL view and entered the formula there. It was the exact same formula that I used in the expression builder!
So for some reason, the expression builder had a glitch.
Thank so much for reinforcing my thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back