Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create Bulk users

Status
Not open for further replies.

suseli

Technical User
Dec 9, 2005
GB
Does anybdy know the steps for creating 170 users wit less admin effort?

I did read the procedure using microsoft excel long time back but i couldn find the link now.

Below is something I once did with the net group command to add bulk users to a security group. You can use the same concept using the 'net user' command or the 'dsadd user' command. Just set up your Excel spread sheet with the proper arguments. I would suggests getting into VBSCRIPT or PowerShell when you get the time, for now this still works great.

U can use the net group command to do this.
Using your Excel Spread sheet place these in the following columns:
A - NET GROUP
B - "group name" - the name of the security group
C - SAM Account of the user. Just copy from the 1500 you have.
D - /ADD

Your excel spread sheet should have 1500 entries similar to this:
NET GROUP FILESHAREREAD jdoe /ADD
NET GROUP FILESHAREREAD tlin /ADD
NET GROUP FILESHAREREAD ltom /ADD
and so on...

Next save your Excel spread sheet as a comma delimited .csv file. Open the file in wordpad or notepad. I prefer wordpad because it is multi-threaded which will be quiker in doing the next step.

From Wordpad, under the Edit menu, choose replace. In Find what: type in a comma (,). In the Replace with: type the space bar. Hit the Replace All button which will remove the "," and replace with " " (without the quotes of course).

The file should go from:
NET GROUP, FILESHAREREAD, jdoe, /ADD,
To:
NET GROUP FILESHAREREAD jdoe /ADD
For all 1500 entries (be patient).

Select All and Copy. Open a command prompt - right click paste. Away you go...

FYI: the NET GROUP command is required to be run on a domain controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back