Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create an outline

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb1

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
US
I have a logo and I would like to create a fine white line around it. This logo is supposed to go over a blaclk background and I need to see the outline detils.
How can I do this?
Thnks.

I am just new at this.

Hey lb1 -

If you have a logo with a bunch of different parts and you want a fine white line around ONLY THE OUTSIDE BORDER of the logo, this is probably the best way to do it:

1. Select all of your logo elements by making sure all your layers are unlocked and click "ctrl + a" or edit -> select all

2. Copy the logo (ctrl + c) and make a new layer UNDERNEATH your original logo. Paste your copy onto this new layer by pressing ctrl + b or "edit -> paste in back" with the new layer selected. this will paste the copy in the exact same position as the original logo but on a new layer behind your orginal logo. At this point I would hide all your other layers except this new one so you can see it.

3. The next thing I would do, with the entire logo copy still selected, is "type -> create outlines", and "object -> outline stroke" on all the elements so that everything is a fill: there are no strokes or type. Make sure everything is selected when you use these commands.

4. The next thing is to combine everything into one path. Do this by -- with everything selected -- click the "add to shape area" button on the pathfinder palette. Make sure nothing is grouped for this to work properly by clicking "strl + shift + g" a bunch of times with everything selected before using the "add to shape area".
Now your logo copy should look like one complex shape of all the same color.

5. From here, if there are any holes in the shape you don't want to be there (maybe the inside of an "o" or something has left a hole in your shape) you can get rid of them by going to "object -> compound path -> release" then redoing the "add to shape area" thing to make one solid shape again.

6. Now that you have this one solid shape, choose a fill and stroke color. The stroke should be the white outline you want, probably one or two points in thickness, although you may want to make it thicker. If everything is done right, you should see a stroke only around the outside of the shape

7. When you show the original logo by unhiding it in the layer's pallete, the original should be on top, and what you just did should be on the bottom, with just the stroke showing from behind.

I hope this makes sense, I know it is kind of long. Let me know if you have any questions. Peace.

Nice detailed instructions BooYa, only thing I am wondering is whether lb1's original logo is a vector image or a bitmap? Obviously your instructions only suit a vector logo...let us know lb1. If your image is, for example, a jpg you would have to first redraw or convert the bitmap (using software like Adobe Streamline)to a vector image and then follow BooYas instructions.

Well, this is a very well documented instruction.
I am new at this and I have he following problem.
in stp 3 type-> Create outline, this command is grey and therefore I cannot use it.
This logo is made of Text and images. May be this is why?

Do not know why. I tried in version 8 and 10 but I am going nowhere.
Any hints.
Thanks
louis

Good point. When you say "Images", do you mean Bitmaps (pictures) or actual Illustrator vector art?

If you select everything, and you can't use type -> create outlines, then the only thing I can think of is that the type has already been converted to outlines. If you got this logo from someone else, usually that is the case cause you may not have the font(s) the person used to make the logo. When you select the text, and there is an outline with a bunch of points going around it, then it's already converted: you can skip that step. If there is just a line under the text, and you can edit it and retype it, then it hasn't been converted. You should be able to use "create outlines" no matter what else you have on there.

Sometimes I will outline all strokes too before I combine the copy together, then the outline will be the same thickness through out. I'd buy a Mac if I could afford one.

Thanks to all for these explanation. This my own project and that was a good learning experience. It look so easy to do when it's finished.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back