Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create an extended stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhofing

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
CA
I am using SQL 7. I would like to create an extended stored procedure using VB6. Is this possible? I created a number of functions in VB6, created the DLL and copied it to \mssql7\binn and register it (as per BOL). When I try to use it I get the following error message:

Cannot load the DLL GMTfunctions.dll, or one of the DLLs it references. Reason: 126(The specified module could not be found.)

I tested the functions in VB and they work fine.

This is my first time creating a DLL so I may have done it incorrectly in VB6 or something wrong in SQL Server (or maybe both!).

Can anyone offer assistance?

Regards,

Ric

The offical word from Microsft is that XPs should be created in C++. VB cannot be used to create XPs. See "Creating Extended Stored Procedures" in SQL BOL.

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Any way to do this in VB.net or C# ?
Or are we stuck with sp_OA calls.

Or would there be a big advantage to converting a vb6 COM dll that gets called by sp_OA procs into a C++ extended stored procedure.

So far as I know, only C/C++ and Delphi can be used to create extended stored procedures for SQL Server 2000. The next version of SQL Server is supposed to allow XP creation in other languages. I don't write XPs myself, so I may be incorrect on both accounts.

You may want to start a new thread if you care to pursue the questions further.

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back