Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a system image

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommasihno

Technical User
Mar 26, 2009
GB
Hi guys,

When creating a system image from within Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore...does the image created restore the PC name and automatically re-add the PC to the domain once the image has been restored?

Thanks

its an interesting idea. I dont think the machine will be added back into the domain like that. Give it a try and see!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Have a spare hard drive?? Have extra time on your hands? Test it out for us and post results. I'm thinking it will put it back in the domain.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

The System Image option will create an exact copy of the hard drive. When restored, it will have all identical settings that the original had, including its trust relationship on the domain.

However, keep this in mind. If you rename the PC after making the backup or do anything that would affect its trust relationship, a new backup must be made to capture the change. Otherwise, the restored image from an older backup won't be trusted. Also, some system administrators have configured Active Directory to delete inactive accounts (or disable and move them to another container) after a certain number of days, usually 90. So if the computer you are restoring has been offline too long, it could have problems connecting. Minor caveats, but worth mentioning...

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

That's what I figured, but as with most things, timing is everything. Age ruins everything.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back