Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create a system dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

aixchild

Technical User
Nov 14, 2008
GB
Is there a way of creating a bespoke system dump, that is, creating before a system crash ?

thanks

Hi,
not sure what you try to archive, but have a look at smitty dump. Most likely one of the options solves your task.

Hi

This force at system crash with a dump.
cat /etc/hosts > /dev/mem

/HGA

thanks for the input

A customer has basically had memory issues and we've been asked to create a dump before the system goes down, as well as running a perfpmr

smit dump" will call "sysdumpstart" command, I think.

Before initating a dump, you shoud make sure that it will have enough space in the configured dump target.

--Trifo

I ran the sysdumpstart -p, which worked a treat.

However, I have a follow on question.

As this crashed the server and caused it to reboot, would any of you know whether it would cause on reboot /etc/environment not to be read ?

I ask as out Informix databases did not start when running smitty clstart, and the DB experts reckon it was due to EXTSHM=ON not being set from /etc/environment

ta

A reboot is a reboot, for whatever cause. It should (and will) have read /etc/environment.

You can check the startup ENV with:

[tt]ps eww (cronPID)|tr ' ' '\n'|grep =[/tt]

Choose any system daemon's pid that hasn't been restarted yet.

Make sure that the shell from where you ran the smitty clstart has the correct environment. Also the start scripts may want some screening for correct ENV behaviour...

HTH,

p5wizard

I guess a review of your /tmp/hacmp.out file will tell you the exact problem of why your DB didn't start as expected!

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back