Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a selection form

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcnutt

Programmer
May 17, 2002
US
I want to create a selection form in Word that will allow users to select components and fill out data for that component if selected. I want all of the selected components to print out if they were selected. Basically, I want to have all components that are available for our final product and give users the option to select any combination of components that they want in the final product. The output is a Word document with only selected components printed. I didn't know if this is something possible with Word natively or if I should use write a program the generates the output using Word.

Thanks,
Tom

Your query is pretty broad in scope but I can at least answer your direct question. Yes, Word includes the ability to insert form fields (including dropdowns) that users can then use to select options and print them. I don't use it often and, even then, I usually connect those fields to another file (Excel or Access) where the data is stored. I don't think you HAVE to do that though. I DO know that you need to PROTECT the document before the dropdowns and other fields become available as an interactive component.

If the plan is to email the Word document to them or to let them download the document, then I guess that might be the best way. Depending on how extensive the options each dropdown will be, it might be best to go with Access instead. You're basically talking about a database of some sort and trying to maintain those dropdowns within Word alone doesn't seem to me to be very efficient. Hope this helps.

Yes, your question is too broad. You need to define things more explicitly. The answer is - as it stands - yes, but it depends.

For example, you do not state either what "components" are (are they one sentence? a few paragraphs?, a graphic? 37 pages?), nor the number of them (6? 311?).

I do something quite similar, in concept I think, to what you seem to be asking.

A Word template that, when cloned into a enw document, displays a userform.

The user selects the general Type (Letter, Financial Statements, Staffing....), and the userform reconfigures itself to show elements for that Type. The user selects the appropriate elements - with error trapping to make sure they do. Press OK, and the document is structured with the default text for what the user has selected.

Some of these use AutoText to generate the elements in the new document. This is the constructive approach.

Some of them use a reductionist approach. The selections made by the user removes chunks of the document. This is very easy when you use bookmarks.

Some use a combination of both approaches.

In either case, it is quite reasonable to have the "chunks" actually defined in Word. AutoText is very fast. Deletion of Ranges (the reductionist approach) is also very fast. In other words, no need to source out (to Excel, or Access, or even a text file...whatever).

Word is quite capable of handling hundreds of elements on its own.

However, if you needs thousands, yes, a database would likely be better.

Or, if anything involves calculation of numbers, then Excel could very likely be involved.

So...it depends. Can Word handle:

"I want to have all components that are available for our final product and give users the option to select any combination of components that they want in the final product"

Yes, you can do that in Word.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Thanks for the replies. See example below. I would like a product configuration form that includes all possible components available. The engineer would click the check box next to the component if he/she wanted to include it and it would expand and they could fill out the details. If it wasn't selected then it would stay compressed. In the details some items are required and some aren't. I was wanting to use Word as the front end and then generate a nicely formatted document. I hope this clears up my original question.

Thanks,
Tom

Product selection list

(checkbox) Component 1
Item1: Item2:
Item3: Item4: (not required)

(checkbox) Component 2
Item1: Item2:
Item3: Item4:

(checkbox) Component 3
Item1:

Frankly, I did not really look at your components, as WHAT they are is irrelevant.

"I hope this clears up my original question."

No, it does not.

"would click the check box next to the component if he/she wanted to include it and it would expand and they could fill out the details. "

Expand? What does that mean? Does it mean the two "expanded" items were invisible, but now are visible. is that what you mean by "expand"? Does it mean exiting out of the checkbox displays an input dialog where they choose one of the sub-items, and then that choice is inserted as text?

" I was wanting to use Word as the front end and then generate a nicely formatted document."

I will say it again, yes Word can do that. In fact, I will repeat what I last posted:

I want to have all components that are available for our final product and give users the option to select any combination of components that they want in the final product"

Yes, you can do that in Word.

You have to clearly, carefully, decide what it is EXACTLY you want to do.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back