Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

create a secure "desktop environment"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayhem

Technical User
Aug 3, 2006
GB
I have never used Director, but am considering it - if it will meet the requirements of my project.

I need to create a secure "desktop environment" with a set number of buttons/icons that can launch other applications,games,internet explorer, power point presentations etc etc - this environment cannot be 'quit' by the general public user, no matter what buttons on the keyboard they use ( ie the start button, control-alt-delete etc) - the only way out of this environment would be, say, to press three 'known' buttons together, then type in a password to quit (thus gaining administrative access)

Also, if director IS the software for this job, would this type of application be tackled by only an advanced user, or is this easy stuff? ( I have experience in building Flash, but not highly advanced stuff, with long mathematical actionscript - rather more used to the 'straitforward' use of flash, with very simple actions)

Yes you can do all of that in Director and it's fairly straight forward, but you'll need to buy certain set of 3rd party Xtras (plug-ins) to do things like disabling Ctrl key etc. Then again you can't do any of those things in Flash unless you buy a 3rd party wrapper. Well, you may want to have a look at those Flash wrappers as well!

Kenneth Kawamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back