Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a searchable text box on form to run a query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghobbit

Technical User
Dec 1, 2002
NZ
Hi

I'm a bit new to SQL and am having a problem with a query. The query is being used to search for a string, however the string has spaces in it.

The query needs to search in several fields.

Example:
Table called Jobs
Field called Job Number
Field called Client
Field called Address

Client may contain the name Bob or it may contain a fuller description such as Bob James Ltd. However sometimes the client will be Joe who is subcontracted by Bob, so the client will be James but the address will be Bob or Bob James Ltd instead.

I wish to find all jobs that Bob James was handling whether they appear as a client or indirectly in the address field. I can run this sql in MS Access and it works fine although I'm sure theres something a bit more tidy I could use:

Select Jobnumber, client, address
From Jobs
Where client like '*Bob*' or address like '*Bob*';

However what I now want to do is have a form where the user can type in a name, such as Bob, into a search field and then have the query take that and do its things and spit out the results.

I've created a form called printform and the unbound text box is called txtsearch, so I modified the SQL statement that was working to

Select Jobnumber, client, address
From Jobs
Where client like '*Forms!printform.txtsearch*' or address like '*Forms!printform.txtsearch*';

However if I enter Bob into the text box, I get no results returned - I've tried it with and without the quotes but no luck. I need it to return results whether its in the client or address fields and regardless of whether its in the form of Bob or Bob James ltd

I'm not quite sure of how to proceed from this point and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction

many thanks

steve

WHERE client Like '*' & Forms!printform!txtsearch & '*' OR address Like '*' & Forms!printform!txtsearch & '*'

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi

Many thanks for that - works like a charm.

Could I just ask why you use ampersands instead of * and why * is in quotes and not the whole thing? Or is there a website that explains that - if I understand why I need to do it that way then it'll make me a better SQL wiriter

many thanks again

Steve

You should see this forum: forum701

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back