Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a "Jeopardy board" out of SQL Results - I'll explain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I have this working in Excel, but would like to make it work in SQL Server Reporting Services.

The idea is to have a grid. You know the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words? Well, here is what the working version looks like in Excel right now:
2021-06-24_15-04-08_oiiyte.png

Each of these blocks is a value from a static table where we agreed to group records based on other attributes.

The colors basically tell those who look:
[ul][li]Red = Past Due[/li]
[li]Yellow = Due Today[/li]
[li]Green = Future Due, in other words, there are items in progress, due sometime after "today"[/li]
[li]Grayish green color = Nothing Due, but We COULD have items in this category at any time.[/li]
[/ul]

How I work this so far:
[ol 1]
[li]Pull, categorize and sort the data in SQL Server[/li]
[li]Import to Excel to a data sheet[/li]
[li]Use VBA script to paste the "label" for each of the summarized data rows into the "next" cell.[/li]
[ul][li]That cell is the one to the right, unless it's past 7 items in one row. This # could change, it's just what works best right now.[/li][/ul]
[/ol]

The couple of things I can't wrap my mind around for this with Reporting Services are:
1. How do I either put the values where I want them to form a grid / jeopardy board in Reporting Services? Is there a way I could use a Pivot query perhaps in SQL?
2. How do I handle formatting in Reporting Services? It's not really Conditional formatting in Excel. I have VBA check the source summary table and format according to values in another column in said table.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Steve,

Can't help you with Reporting Services. But I've done similar "Traffic Light" reporting.

The trick may be creating a new table that relates each Jeopardy square to a database summary value/name. Then it could be a conditional format.

In that case, you probably could perform a Transform of 7 by x rows.

Send me an eMail and maybe we could "talk."

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

Thanks, Skip! I have at least started typing up an email about it, but haven't yet sent. I'll try to get that sent off.. at least before I leave work today. :)

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back