Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create a Paging Group for our School

Status
Not open for further replies.

imeldesign

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2004
US
We share our phone system with a Pre-K - 8th grade school. In the past two years the school has expanded taking some classrooms in one of our buildings. A recent armed robbery near our campus left the school without the ability to talk directly to the preschool classrooms in our building (they never bothered to find out the phone extensions in those classrooms).
They have requested the ability to page those rooms (right now they are analog lines but I can change the extensions to digital. I need to create a separate paging zone for all phones in the school.
I have an NEC 2000 IPS. I will be using matworx to program.
I know we have an ALL Page Zone set up although most people had me remove their extension right off the bat since we had a receptionist who abused it. (She had been moved to another area and still pages people without knowing hardly anyone hears it).

I know how to add and remove to that:
Paging Groups – Adding and Removing Extensions from the all page zone.

F9 +5601 (5601-5607) + F8 + 01-16 depending on where it is.

To clear and extension do CCC

To add an extension find one that says none and type extension number + F2

Example:

F9+ 5602 + F8 + 15 will display 2169 then hit ccc to remove it.

F9+ 5602 + F8 + 15 will display NONE enter 2169 + F2

Thanks in advance.

5600-5607 are the paging zones, 0-7. However you can only internal page to a multiline telephone since you need the circuitry to receive the page. (speakerphone). Only 16 phones can be in a zone and only the first 6 zones receive internal all pages. Once you place the phone in a zone you need to verify the access code to page. Use the MatWorX to list out the number plan to see what if any the codes are.

Personally I would recommend a change to an external paging solution. In schools here they use a clever solution to the problem of people not wanting to receive pages. There are two speaker feeds into each classroom and the "off" switch is actually a changeover switch that connects the speaker to the second "emergency" feed. They have a switch at the PA amp that switches in the "emergency" feed if necessary so that both those in the on position and those in the off position all get an emergency call. I believe it was seen as the best way of covering the duty of care issue!

Ozzie,
The school classrooms have a PA system. The classrooms (PreK) that use our adjacent building do not. Since the school is on our phone system anyway and these 4-5 classrooms have extensions in them I thought this would be the best solution. There is no way to connect the two building without a lot of expense. The underground wiring connecting the school campus to our phone system (25 pr) was done when our building was torn down to the shell and rebuilt for our children's ministry.

My question is how to create the new zone. I know we have one already. I just want the classrooms in our building and a couple of school admin phones to be on that zone. If a separate zone isn't possible I'll remove all of our extensions from the zone and just use it for them.

melanie

I think Belvedere covered the paging group but on a side note, I recently did a job where they had an IP based PA system which eliminated the need for additional cabling between buildings. Whilst I know you are looking for the most cost effective solution, it is worth considering the duty of care ramifications should something go wrong!

Here in OZ schools often end up with transportable classrooms due to the rapid expansion of some areas and even the transportables come pre built with phone, data and PA as standard!

Since neither is willing to spend anything the phone page group is the way to go.

I am not clear as to whether there are multiple page groups. When the system was set up all the digital extensions were added to the all page group (around 60 extensions) At least 2/3 had me remove them from hearing pages.
I'll need one group (less than 16) for this.If only the first six hear all page how do I make the school its own zone?

Melanie

Command 56XX (00-07) are the internal page groups. Place all of the phones from that location into one of the groups.
EX: 5607 = group 7, extensions 2400-24XX
First data 00-15 = the extension entry (16 max per group)
5607>00>2400
5607>01>2401
" " "
5607>15>2415
Command 200>*8>A137 = access code *8 dials zone 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back