Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Create A Login Script For An Active Directory Group - How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleJHJO

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
I have a login script that all my users execute when logging in to the domain. I have an Active Directory (AD) group that I want to run a specific script, different from the general script. How do I go about getting a script to run for a particular AD group?

Thanks,

J. Jensen

1. Create a group policy for each particular AD group and set the user level startup program to your desired .bat file. Controlled at the group level.

You could also create an OU for the group of users you wish to apply a group policy to with your specific script to. Within this policy applied to the OU, you can call your script.

If you use this method, you can create a group within it and add the members you wish the policy to be applied to.

Do you want this specific script to be applied with the existing or exclusively?

"Assumption is the mother of all f#%kups!

Download the GPMC from HERE. The GPMC only runs on Windows 2003 Server or Windows XP. BUT IT DOES MANAGE WIN 2000 DOMAINS, just the tool (interface doesn't work on windows 2000).

Install and run it on an XP or 2003 machine in the domain with the normal administrator rights.
Put the script on the PDC in the SYSVOL folder then under the correct scripts folder.

You do not need to create a seperate OU, if you have a group.

Create a Brand New GPO, Right click on Administrative Templates and remove all of the Admin Templates from both Computer and User Configuration.
Under User Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts > Logon > Add your script > close your GPO ediotr.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

You can accomplish everything within a single login script.

Have a look at my FAQ for full details and a sample script that does exactly what you are looking for.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I'm new to the Windows Domanin/Active Directory world. Everyone in our department has a bat file ran at login. I verified the name of the script from within active directories. Where so I find this script so I can find what all it is running?

-B :cool:

bat files ara thing of the past. Step up to vbscript which is more powerful, more flexible and doesn't need to launch a seperate VM to run.

You will probably find your bat files in the Netlogon share as a leftover legacy from the NT4 days.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I have a Windows 2000 environment with Windows XP pc's. Within my domain I have many dept OU's which I would like to assign dept OU scripts and possibly call a general script using .vbs. I have dept scripts running, but also have a lot of individual scripts as well (extra drive mappings which I would like to consolidate into one script at the OU level - ex: a user in the MIS dept uses samplemis.bat (x:\ and n:\ drives) and another user in that same dept uses mistest.bat (which consists of the x:\ and n:\ drives, but also has a net use to k:\). How do write a script to eliminate the individual script and only use the dept script and still call other drive mappings if needed?
Any help would be appreciated.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back